If you are the parent of a bright and gifted learner, you are probably considering whether to have your child undergo giftedness testing. If the school system your child attends has not yet addressed your child’s learning needs, or your child is wasting time on a waiting list for evaluation, a private gifted evaluation is an option.
Perks of testing your child privately
- Choice: When choosing to evaluate your child privately, you get to choose the evaluator. It is important that whomever you choose is knowledgeable in standardized testing, interpreting test results, child development, and the issues going on with your child.
- Focused on a child-centered approach: This means that sessions are based on your child’s abilities, not just the evaluator’s schedule. It normally takes approximately four to five sessions to complete a comprehensive evaluation. But, I prefer that we take a few more sessions to complete a full evaluation that is shorter in length, rather than chunking testing into longer periods of time, leaving your child burnt out. Testing sessions are also scheduled at times that are mutually convenient for your child and my schedule. I provide school notes for excused absences or tardiness.
- Individualization: Testing is specifically tailored to your child’s presenting issues. I take my time, not only to meet with you to gather important background information but also to speak with your child’s teachers to get a better sense of what’s going on in school (with your consent).
- Prompt results: Feedback for results is scheduled within two to three weeks after the last testing session. This means that you will be gaining a comprehensive action plan, with a fund of information, while there is still time during the school year to put new ideas into practice. You won’t be waiting for months while you see your child struggling or crying every day because of school and learning issues.
- Results are private: If you paid completely out-of-pocket, you have full autonomy to share the report with your child’s school, if you wish to. Only you have access to results of this evaluation, but they are the first step in admission to the Miami-Dade County Public School Gifted Program.
No matter what your child scores, there will be some emotions that go along with the results. Here are some tips for helping yourself and your child if the test comes back differently than you expected. If you believe your child may benefit from a psycho-educational evaluation or private gifted testing, please contact me for a free consultation at 786-383-4942. More about what to expect and how to prepare for the test!